Thursday, June 21, 2012

Art Appreciation

Today was REALLY hot.  Not having air conditioning in my house (which is okay about 360 days of the year), I was racking my brain to find somewhere COOL to go.  So, I remembered that Shauna had recommended the art museum at Vassar College.

We jumped into the car, and headed off for the Frances Lehman Loeb Art Center.  I don't think I've visited an actual art museum in about 20 years.  I wasn't really sure what to expect, or in fact what to expect from my kids in this new situation.  But it was a great experience!  The gentleman who was working there went around with us and explained many of the pieces, pointing out things that we might not have noticed ourselves.

The best thing is, this is local, and it's FREE!  The kids and I saw pretty much everything in 45 minutes, which was just right for my four-year-old's attention span.  I probably could have spent much longer if I'd gone by myself.  There were a few paintings that we sort of avoided (a bit unclothed), but there was a great variety of art displayed, from an ancient Roman statue to contemporary pieces, and Lily's favorite, a mobile by Alexander Calder, the inventor of the mobile!  There are several rooms, and each represents a time period or a theme.  For us New Yorkers, there is a section devoted to the Hudson River School of painting, which includes many paintings donated by the founder of Vassar College, Matthew Vassar.

The Frances Lehman Loeb Art Center is open from 1-5 on Sunday, 10-5 on Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday, and 10-9 on Thursday.  I highly recommend it for an educational and completely refreshing afternoon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! We read every one before it is published, so if you would like it to remain private, please indicate that in your comment. Otherwise, appropriate comments will be published after they are read!