Saturday, September 15, 2012

Homeschooling with Lego's?

I want to let you all know about a great website.  It is a blog by homeschooling mom Jamerrill Stewart, and is called "Free Homeschool Deals."  I've been following the blog through an e-mail subscription, and every day I get an e-mail with information on free and discounted Kindle books, curriculum, and home management products.  There are even coupons for things you would buy at the grocery store!

Lego Guy ready for school!
The reason for the title of this post - "Homeschooling with Lego's"- is that one of the freebies she posted today was a four-day unit study on...believe it or not...Lego's!  I checked it out, and it includes writing, history, geography, vocabulary, and even math.  So, my Lego-happy son is going to have a fun week next week, as we learn about and with his favorite toy!  The unit study is found on the blog, "Walking by the Way", which I plan to spend time visiting in the future!

Zooming in for Lego Week!

You might be wondering if it's a good idea to take a week out of your busy curriculum plan to do something else.  I would encourage you to try it.  I like to be in charge of my kids' schooling, and spend quite a bit of time choosing the best books and planning the best schedule I can.  But even the best books can become dull, especially if it is something I want my kids to learn, not necessarily something they're interested in.  I've found that giving choices, and taking learning detours, can restore the excitement we had when we started out.  So, this week, we're taking a little trip into Lego-land together!

What do you do to keep the excitement in your homeschool?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! We read every one before it is published, so if you would like it to remain private, please indicate that in your comment. Otherwise, appropriate comments will be published after they are read!